Monday 19 October 2009

Robert Louis Stevenson.

Our next brief for this unit involved each of us choosing a name from a hat and then designing stationary for that person. I got Robert Louis Stevenson, the author and poet.

Research research research. I have read a couple of his books but too long ago to really remember so I ventured out to Boscombe to explore the charity shops. First second hand book I came to... 2 mint condition early edition hard backs.

After reading up some stuff on the internet and reading his 'Essays of Travel' I started sketching out ideas for a design. I wanted to use a traditional serif typeface to represent his time in England so I decided on Baskerville. He also spent a lot of time in Somoa, the place in which he called home, so I included a traditional Somoan design which would be embossed on the business card.

A kind off ivory card would be used for the business cards and a heavy weight paper for the compliment slip and letter head. I have shrunk the business card down to 55mm x 55mm as a lot of the Somoan art is circular and symmetrical, and this size would still fit your wallet.

Here's a rough version of what I want my designs to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment