Wednesday 17 February 2010

Suttles Website - PPRD

For one part of my PPRD I took on a live brief from Emma at Mushroom Marketing which was to design a website for Suttles, a local company that owns a quarry sells stone and rock online.
Their old website was very cluttered and they wanted a more professional look to the whole thing.

I first received a short brief from Matt Desmier outlining what they were looking for, I then contacted Emma Ansell who is the director of Mushroom Marketing who is dealing with the client. Emma sent me through a rough brief so I could start sketching out some ideas and experiment with layouts. I worked on 3 or 4 different designs so they could have a few to choose from.

At this point I wasn't really sure what they wanted so I took what they gave me on the brief and tried to make it work on the page as best I could. I found out a week later when I met Emma for a meeting that I wasn't too far from the mark. This first meeting with Emma was extremely useful for me, I had emailed her the initial pages so she could show the client and she now had their feedback. I made notes on the original pages and together we worked through each point on the list.

Now I had a chance to go away and put all the into action. I had a much better idea now of what I needed to do so I got on with it while it was fresh in my mind. Everything in this project took along time to happen. If I needed to know something I had to contact Emma who would then have to contact Suttles and get back to me. This meant that sometimes it would take a long time to get an answer back. This turned out well for me though, for once I started taking on more work I had time to work on other things.

Myself & Emma tried to stay in touch every week to discuss ongoing changes and decisions. This helped me to stay on top of it all and really be part of the process. This brief was good for me as it helped me to make sure I had finished certain things by a certain time and stick to deadlines.

Dealing with a professional also helped me to see how things are done in industry. Emma was very helpful and it was a pleasure working along side her.

Overall this was an excellent brief for me. I completed all the required work and the client was really happy with it. It improved my skills of time keeping and dealing with clients which will help me once I leave Bournemouth and set up my own studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment